Monday, January 19, 2009

1/2 of DAY 4



Day 4 we went to Carthage it was about 20 minutes away from where we stayed so not too long and it was fun to see everything still frozen from the ice storm. The front yards looked like ice skating rinks and all the trees and weeds were covered in ice.

We arrived to Carthage and were nervous the jail was going to be closed due to the ice, but we were in luck it was open...not many people there but it was open! HOORAY! There was a cute older missionary couple there that took us on the tour. We started by watching a short movie about Joseph Smith's life. It was neat to watch and know that we were right where he last was. We then headed outside in the FREEZING COLD to the

The first room was where the Jail keepers cooked for the prisoners. There was a husband and wife that were the jail keepers when Joseph Smith and the others were brought to the jail.
This room is where some prisoners for little crimes (not being able to pay a fine) would spend their time. It was a normal room just with bars on the windows and doors. Look how thick the walls are!!!My Cute Husband!
Then we went upstairs! The handrail was original it was really low the ladies would use it to hold thier dresses up while walking up the stairs...but it was actually just the right size for me!
Then to the jail cell! This is where the Prophet and the others spent most of their time. (sorry for the weird face, jason would just say katie and take a picture) the floors and cell parts were original. This room was really sad, just dark and locked in the little cell for who knows how long.
Then to the room where Hyrum and Joseph were killed. This was the jail keepers' bedroom, but they had the Prophet and the others stay in it to help make thier stay a little nicer. It was very neat to be able to be in that room, there was a calm feeling there. The kids even calmed down to listen to the Missionary. The original door was still there that had the bullet hole where the bullet came through and killed Hyrum. The missionary told us what went on that day and then we listened to a recording of how it might have sounded. It was such a special experience. It stregthened my testimony being there and feeling the spirit. I have a much greater appreciation for Joseph Smith and his family and what they had to go through to restore the gospel. It was real and lots were hurt and killed from it. I am so thankful that he was willing to give up everything for the gospel so we can have it today.
This was a special spot it is where Joseph fell from the window after he had been shot. We look kind of sad, but it was just a spiritual experience and we were thinking about the loss of the Prophet and his brother Hyrum. It was the original floor so we were standing where the Prophet had stood for the last time. I loved that room and am thankful for the Missionaries that help invite the spirit with their testimonies and reverence there.
This is a picture looking out of where Joseph fell. And some pictures of the outside of the jail.
And us leaving the special place.

7 comments:

Erica said...

I can't believe how much you guys can accomplish in one trip, let alone one day! I never had any desire to EVER go to Nauvoo until your's and Andria's pictures.

Kirkham Family said...

Katie thanks so much for the neat pictures. I appreciate you putting them on so we can see them. I am so happy for you guys that you were able to have such a neat experience out there! I am looking forward to when we go and I can't waite to feel that sweet spirit!

strickland party of six said...

Katie, thanks for your comment!

I have also told my aunt toread your posting because she is very knowlegdable and so I was talking to her about it, I also told her I want to go there she repilied so Do I, and her friends live there! So I told her great we have a place to stay and you'll be taking me, and she said so I guess thats where we are going for the next Sr. trip she takes all the necies and newphes when the graguate on a trip.And I said, yep they don't get to choose this yr...

Melodie Anne said...

I've never thought a trip to Nauvoo sounded cool until I read all this and saw your pictures. It looks so neat. What a a fun family trip- except for that it looks freezing!

Cameron and BreAnn said...

I loved going to this place! And I thought the jail cell was really sad also. I'm glad you guys had fun. It's a great experience!

Our Family said...

Carthiage jail is really neat to see!!

Kelli Cox said...

Katie that is so neat. I've heard that the spirit is very very strong there. I want to go to Nauvoo someday with all my kids I think it would be a great experience.